SFMA Turfgrass Science Certification
The SFMA Turfgrass Science Certification verifies individuals have obtained foundational knowledge and skills in the areas of turfgrass science and management, as well as the ability to pursue a career in the turfgrass industry.
Use the form to be notified when this certification becomes available!
Meeting the Industry Need
The certification assesses industry-valued and industry-recognized standards produced by the Sports Field Management Association. Comprised of sports field managers from across the country, SFMA serves as an official voice for green-industry professionals.
The certification validates individuals have acquired knowledge and skills in turfgrass development, turfgrass environment, preparation, practices and benefits. Those who earn the certification are more qualified and prepared to pursue a meaningful career in the turfgrass or sports field management industries. Additionally, the certification allows employers to identify and connect with more skilled candidates, filling gaps in the labor market and jumpstarting individuals’ careers.
The certification exam consists of 100 questions and assesses knowledge and concepts from the following weighted industry standards:
Benefits of Turfgrass
- Environmental Benefits
- Community Benefits
- Economic Benefits
Turfgrass Anatomy, Identification & Adaptations
- Turfgrass Growth & Development
- Turfgrass Anatomy
- Turfgrass Identification
- Climatic Adaptations
- Criteria for Selecting Turfgrass Species
- Plant Growth Requirements – Water, Nutrients, Air
- Soil Types
- Soil Physical Properties – Texture, Structure, Aggregation, Bulk Density, Porosity, Drainage, Water Relationship, & Modification
- Soil Chemical Properties – Soil Acidity/ Alkalinity, pH, Cation Exchange Capacity, Salt Concentrations, Phytotoxic Contaminants, Nutrient Availability
- Choosing a Proper Growing Medium
Turfgrass Cultural Practices
- Nutrient Management
- Integrated Pest Management
- Weeds – Identification & Control
- Insects – Identification & Control
- Diseases – Identification & Control
Playing Surface Preparation
- Field Dimensions
- Surface Playability – Traction, Surface Stability, Species Selection, Irrigation Management, Appropriate Crown Specifications
- Sports Specific Preparation
- Rectangle Fields
- Baseball/Softball Fields – Infield Management
- Field Marking & Logo Painting
- Quality, Evaluation & Safety of Surfaces & Facilities
- Seasonal/Annual Maintenance
Optional Certification Preparation Materials
The iCEV online curriculum platform offers a variety of preparatory content and resources designed to prepare individuals to earn industry certifications.
About the Sports Field Management Association
The Sports field Management Association is a non-profit, professional association for men and women who manage outdoor sports fields worldwide. Since 1981, SFMA has been providing education and practical knowledge in the art and science of sports field management. SFMA’s mission is to advance professionalism in sports field management and safety through education, awareness programs and industry development.